It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:03 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 am 
Newbie Greyhound Lover

Received the devastating diagnosis on Friday that our beloved Roo has osteosarcoma. At just shy of 9 years old we've decided not to pursue the aggressive treatment option of amputation and chemo. We'll treat the pain and make his last days the best they can be. While estimates are very challenging with this disease we are preparing ourselves to have only 4-6 more months with him.

Our family would like to hear from anyone who has been through this (even if it's with a different breed). We especially want to hear more about how your dog expressed the outward signs, things about the progression of the disease that surprised you, and any tips or tricks you might have regarding helping manage pain (beyond medications-we have an awesome vet who we trust completely in this regard).

Thanks for anything anyone can offer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 am 
Borderline Greyhound Obsession

I am so very sorry to here of your sweet Roo's diagnosis. I don't have a lot of info to offer, I let my girl go soon after her diagnosis because I could see she was still in pain with meds and the fear she would fracture her leg. I do recommend in home euth, it is so much easier on you and Roo.
I wish you and Roo many more happy and pain free days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 am 
Newbie Greyhound Lover

pitch wrote:
I am so very sorry to here of your sweet Roo's diagnosis. I don't have a lot of info to offer, I let my girl go soon after her diagnosis because I could see she was still in pain with meds and the fear she would fracture her leg. I do recommend in home euth, it is so much easier on you and Roo.
I wish you and Roo many more happy and pain free days.

Thank you so much! Aside from a slight occasional limp and a mildly swollen carpus Roo is his normal self at the moment. For now he seems fine with just ibuprofen and gabapentin but there's a plan in place to treat with some stronger meds when it seems necessary. We know this will all probably change pretty quickly. Fracture is definitely a fear. He's about as big as greys get at 90 lbs and is still a big playful goofball. I almost wish this bothered him a little more than it does so he'd be more cautious.

Thanks also for the home euthanasia tip. We hadn't considered that and it makes a lot of sense. Did your vet help you coordinate it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:03 am 
Incurable Greyhound Addict

I'm so sorry to hear this. I think it's the news we all fear and dread. I have not experienced it yet (thank God), but some friends of mine recently went through it with their 9-year old grey. They also decided not to proceed with treatment and chose to keep him as comfortable as possible. They knew when he was unable to take walks around the back yard that it was time to let him go. They also had in-home euthanasia. They cherished every moment they had with him and were able to get lots of photos and memories to carry them through the mourning period (if that ever really ends).

I wish you the best and longest time possible with Roo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:12 pm 
Newbie Greyhound Lover

PhylS wrote:
I'm so sorry to hear this. I think it's the news we all fear and dread. I have not experienced it yet (thank God), but some friends of mine recently went through it with their 9-year old grey. They also decided not to proceed with treatment and chose to keep him as comfortable as possible. They knew when he was unable to take walks around the back yard that it was time to let him go. They also had in-home euthanasia. They cherished every moment they had with him and were able to get lots of photos and memories to carry them through the mourning period (if that ever really ends).

I wish you the best and longest time possible with Roo.

Kathy and I bawled uncontrollably on Friday night once it sank in. That initial feeling of helplessness was indescribable. We still get choked up thinking about it but we've shifted into gotta-do-this-for-him mode now.

We appreciate the feedback about the walks around the back yard, Phyllis. That's definitely helpful. Roo's guilty pleasure is to sneak into our youngest son's room upstairs and sleep on his bed, which is the softest. I suspect his inability to do that will probably be a reliable sign for us. We've been through this decision once before with our previous dog, an Aussie mix, but she was 14 years old and in really rough shape--that decision, while still painful, was fairly clear-cut. I'm really worried this time things won't be quite so clear.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 am 
Borderline Greyhound Obsession

Regarding in home euthanasia-I live in the Madison area and used Homeward Bound. They were wonderful. I am sure there are similar vets in the Waukesha/Milwaukee area that offer the same service if your regular vet does not do home visits.

I am so very happy to hear all is going well now, hope it continues for a good long time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:00 am 
Incurable Greyhound Addict

I am so very sorry to read this. Although Minnie was not diagnosed with Osteo I believe that is what caused her fracture and we put her down. She was just shy of 13 years old. My vet put both Minnie and BB down in the back of my car so I didn't have to take them in and upset them more. My vet also makes house calls which I haven't used because both Minnie and BB were needing immediate assistance and I couldn't wait until after hours for him to come. I wish you good times with your Roo and am sending hugs.

Julie

https://www.artyah.com/seller/123Gemstones
http://www.rosewatergypsies.com