It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:53 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 pm 
Newbie Greyhound Lover

Our family is saddened to share that late yesterday afternoon our vet humanely euthanized our beloved greyhound, Roo. In mid-October Roo was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, or “bone cancer”. Since October we’ve been treating his symptoms, relieving his pain, and trying to give him the best life possible through his remaining days. In the past couple weeks it became apparent that Roo’s quality of life had declined to the point where even the cocktail of very potent pain killers he was on were no longer relieving his pain as the tumors invaded his body. He passed away with his “pack” by his side to comfort him.

A little bit about Roo:

Roo was born on November 14, 2009, the only male in a litter of 7 puppies. His birth name, and eventual racing name, was Wanneroo. He and his litter mates were all named for famous greyhound racing cities around the world, with Wanneroo being a suburb of Perth, in western Australia. Once he was old enough Roo raced two seasons at Southland Racetrack in East Memphis, Arkansas. He ran a total of 50 races, winning 1st Place 6 times, 2nd Place 4 times and 3rd Place 8 times. Our family was always amazed to view his pedigree online and see his Dam and Sire lines going back 48 generations, to ancestors in the UK in the 1780s. Though they're no longer available, we were also thrilled to have been able to find a few videos of Roo racing so we could see our boy's life pre-retirement.

But Roo’s racing career was cut short by an injury when he broke his right rear foot coming out of the starting gate in early April 2012. After extensive rehabilitation Roo raced another 14 races but after mostly 7th and 8th place finishes it became obvious that Roo’s racing days were over-he never quite recovered from his injury. So Roo retired and his owner graciously turned him over to the Greyhound Pets of America-Wisconsin Chapter for rehoming. Our family visited the GPA-WI adoption kennel when he arrived, met a dozen greyhounds, and Roo chose us as his forever family. On Saturday, June 15, 2013, he came to live with us, to make our lives better, for the rest of his life.

Roo was one of the most gentle souls on earth. He absolutely loved being around all people and other dogs. He was beyond patient with children of all ages, and people familiar with greyhounds described him as “unusually affectionate”. Roo loved visits to Waukesha County's Minooka Dog Park (impressing visitors with his bursts of speed in excess of 40 MPH), loved his walks around the neighborhood and Fox River Parkway, went crazy for zoomies in the backyard (especially in the snow) and lived to be wherever his pack was. Roo was a wonderful, loving member of our family and will be sorely missed.

Some Pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zqtydmdtus68en1/AAAAc4s7rQmyQHGSkzESEqHLa?dl=0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:08 am 
Borderline Greyhound Obsession

I am so very sorry for your loss of Roo. He was a handsome boy and will live forever in your heart.
I know he must have loved Minooka park, that is a great place.
R.I.P. sweet boy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm 
Incurable Greyhound Addict

I'm so sorry for your loss of Roo. He sounds like he was a wonderful hound. It's so hard to let them go. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:11 pm 
Incurable Greyhound Addict

I'm so sorry your sweet Roo had to leave you :(