(Updated 8/27 to note that per the Sauk-Prairie Police Department, we are not to attach any flyers to city/village-owned poles or other public devices. We can place our own stakes and signs; stakes are available with the supply kit.)
Our task is to recover Sally without injury to any person, animal, or damage to any property. So please observe all of the following:
• Work safely and respect private property. Please review the map for some items requiring special attention, in particular not stopping or being out along Highway 12. High-visibility vests are available and encouraged even though we don't want anyone standing in the road.
• Remember that volunteers are not extremely likely to see Sally directly, so we need to post flyers and hand out our number so when someone else sees her, s/he knows where to call.
• Work with a buddy whenever possible, watching each other's back for traffic or other hazards.
• Wear appropriate clothing - safe footwear, bright outerwear, etc.
• Please do not bring your dog. Another greyhound might help attract Sally once she's located -- but risks of having additional dogs in the field might outweigh the benefits. Anyone with a dog along needs to take special care of it with the weather, car travel, etc.
• Having a leash and collar along never hurts (Sally's hopefully still wearing her collar)
• Please do bring any tools/supplies you have handy; particularly stapleguns and staples and clear tape.
• Make a flyer visible in your vehicle window wherever it doesn't block vision; this will help other volunteers and public recognize your connection with this project.
• Post flyers (or fix existing ones) where they are easily visible to stopped or slow-moving traffic, or pedestrians. Staple all four corners, avoiding trees and not obscuring any signs or reflective materials. Stakes and cardboard are available to get flyers in locations without posts. Protect flyers from weather with a plastic page protector placed upside-down so the opening is at the bottom.
• Do not post flyers on private property without permission. If you secure permission and post somewhere private, please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org
) so we can add it to the notification list and check off its removal later.
• DO NOT PLACE FLYERS IN OR ATTACH THEM IN ANY WAY TO A U.S. POSTAL MAILBOX.
• DO NOT TAPE FLYERS TO PAINTED SURFACES SUCH AS CITY SIGNPOSTS OR STREETLAMPS. We can brief some tricks to get flyers in these spots without doing any damage.
• Give the hotline phone number (business card-sized slips can be printed from the website) to anyone personally contacted. Please thank all persons contacted, and assure them that all flyers will be removed.
• Call the number on the flyer if you see Sally, if you see an unsafe situation, or you have anything else to report.
• If you see Sally, go ahead and secure her if she approaches. If Sally won't approach, do not chase her. Please: watch for danger, hold a perimeter, and call the hotline so we can line up a safe capture attempt. Responding volunteers may be asked to dial into a conference call to coordinate efforts if wider-area communications are needed.
There's a Kwik Trip convenience store just across the Wisconsin River in Sauk City at 110 Phillips Blvd, and several other stores, restaurants, etc. nearby.