It is currently Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:15 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: 6-24-2016
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:09 am 
Hooked on Greyhounds

To my Greyhound friends,

Just wanted to send a shout out, since I don’t make it to the “meet ‘n greets” anymore. With turning eleven on June 24, I find myself playing the “age card” more often. For you young pups, that means asking for car rides (why walk, when you can ride in a car?), sleeping more often, sleeping on the most comfiest furniture, and refusing to eat until something (chicken, beef, cheese, etc.) more delicious is added to your kibble. So I just wanted to check in to let you all know I am still living the retired life.

John here (Zack’s guardian), I am amazed how much he changes each year. This summer will be our 7th and the most challenging summer of all. Each year he needs more time to adjust to the warmer temperatures. Our walks (when taken) are either shorter or are peppered with him wanting to lay down. I used to be able to wait for 80 degree or warmer days before I would take him to the parks to cool off in the ponds or creeks. With each passing year, I find myself doing this in cooler weather. I have seen him seek out puddles to wallow in when it is as little as 55 to 60 degrees (but granted a moving dog warms quicker). So each year I find myself turning my thermostat down a bit, or turning on the oscillating fan (to circulate the air for him), earlier in the season.

My walking buddy is aging, and we have shifted from walking to just lying on a shady grass spot and watching the world go by. Even though I consider it more work to keep him comfortable (physical therapy, temperature, food, and food supplements, etc.), I still consider him to be a “gift”. Besides what are you not willing to do for a friend?

Here he is in his illusive crossed front paw pose. Seen it many times, but never got to the camera quick enough before he would uncross them. What’s better than a grainy & blurry cell phone photo?

Post subject: Re: 6-24-2016
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:16 pm 
Borderline Greyhound Obsession

Happy Birthday Zak. You are still young at heart and so good looking! Best Wishes for your special day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:15 am 
Incurable Greyhound Addict

Happy Birthday, Zach. Glad to hear you're still hanging in there. Old age sneaks up on all of us unfortunately. I hope you enjoy your special day. :love

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:24 pm 
Hooked on Greyhounds

Happy 11th Birthday, Zach. I'm glad your human understands you and cares so much for you. We have all missed seeing you at the M&Gs.

Stay cool, dog.