[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1110: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1110: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5277: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5277: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Kennel Cough - www.gpawisconsin.org
It is currently Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:54 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Kennel Cough
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:24 pm 
Seriously Addicted

Our oldest golden retriever, Cinna, is trying to recover from kennel cough. This is our first experience with it. While she did not get a severe case, it has taken its toll on her. She is 12 and 1/2 years old and her age is not helping. She is now in her seventh week. She is eating, albeit slowly, and perks up when treats are handed out but otherwise pretty much lies around. She hardly barks anymore. In the past, she would jump and back at feeding time. Now she just hangs around until her bowl is put down.

The interesting thing is how she got it. We did the GPA meet & greet at Pet Smart in January. Exactly two weeks later, Cinna became very lethargic, would cough a little and would hardly eat. After about $200 in tests, the vet said everything was normal. That's when it dawned on me about kennel cough. Cinna has not been around other dogs. However, we met dogs at the M & G and, of course, had to pet them. I read that the kennel cough virus can be transmitted via clothing, etc. Our vet agrees that is what probably happened. Penny and our other golden have been fine. All our dogs get the bordatella vaccine but the vet says it doesn't always prevent the illness. We think because of Cinna's age, she was just more susceptible to the virus.

Lesson learned. After our next meet and greet, we are going to make sure we wash our hands and change our clothes when we get home. Cinna is due for her annual so she is going back to the vet this coming week. I hope there will be some suggestions as to what, if anything, can be done to get her back to a more normal state. We sure miss our ole Cinna!

Post subject: Re: Kennel Cough
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:55 am 
Incurable Greyhound Addict

Poor Cinna! Sorry to hear she's feeling poorly, but glad it hasn't affected the other pups (especially my pretty Penny ;) ). I hope she's back to normal soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 am 

I'm sorry to hear your golden is ill, and I hope she feels better soon. Since kennel cough is a virus, and there is really no treatment that I know of, you may want to consider trying to boost her immune system so she can fight it off faster. Maybe talk to your vet about giving her Ester C, or another type of vitamin supplement. I would also add some probiotics to her diet if she's not getting those already. A large amount of the immune system lives in the digestive tract, so maybe adding probiotic yogurt or a digestive aid supplement will help? That's just a guess, but its what I would try for my dog if I was in your shoes.

Sending good thoughts for Cinna.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:40 pm 
Seriously Addicted

Wednesday, March 19th, we said goodbye to Cinna. She just got weaker and weaker and we noticed her belly was looking a little bigger. Turns out she was probably developing either liver cancer or some other type of liver disorder when she got exposed to the kennel cough virus. The vet tapped her belly and the ascitic fluid was clear - definitely a liver problem. Because she had gotten so weak the last few days, we decided to let her go and rest in peace. She was such a good hunting dog while also being a good family dog. We miss her greatly but know she has joined our other two goldens at the bridge. She had a full life and we were blessed to have had over 12 years with her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 pm 

Run free, sweet Cinna! We send you warm thoughts as you remember your sweet girl in the days ahead. :angel:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:53 am 

I'm so sorry to read this, Karen. Cherish all of the wonderful memories you have of her. Heal quickly - you're in my prayers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:10 pm 

oh no, I'm so very sorry :( :( :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:28 am 

Sorry for the loss of your old, gal. I can picture the grey muzzle. I appreciate you sharing your experience and tips about washing hands, etc... 12.5years is a big part of your family's life. So sorry for your loss. Jan

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable